The 2nd CLUE-H meeting convened in Heraklion, Crete, Greece, hosted at the Foundation for Research and Technology – Hellas (FORTH) premises. The event had a primary objective of providing a comprehensive overview of CLUE-H’s progress to date. Key topics and presentations during the meeting included:
EC DG SANTE & DG RTD Representatives:
- EU framework programs for research and innovation in Environment & Health presented by Rita Araujo.
- A brief update on the policy regarding electromagnetic fields and Council Recommendation, presented by Alexander Gabilondo.
- SHEER Opinion discussed by Theodoros Samaras.
CLUE-H Cluster Highlights:
- An overview was presented by SEAWave’s Theodoros Samaras.
CLUE-H Project Highlights:
- NextGEM presented by Nikolaos Petroulakis.
- GOLIAT discussed by Mònica Guxens.
- ETAIN overviewed by Anke Huss.
- SEAWave highlighted by Theodoros Samaras.
Working Group Sessions:
- WG1 – Science translation for policy and practice, led by SEAWave.
- WG2 – Data management and exchange, led by NextGEM.
- WG3 – Communication and Dissemination, led by ETAIN.
- WG4 – Experimental studies, led by NextGEM.
- WG5 – Exposure assessment, jointly led by GOLIAT and SEAWave.
Following these key sessions, several research scientists presented their findings:
- Gemma Castaño from GOLIAT shared insights on the use of communication devices among young people from a multicountry survey.
- Brahim Selmaoui, also from GOLIAT, discussed the impact of 3.5 GHz 5G signals on electrical brain activity in healthy volunteers, presenting a controlled randomized study within environmental levels.
- Mariateresa Allocca from NextGEM characterized a reverberation chamber-based 5G in vitro exposure system from a biological perspective.
- Erdal Korkmaz, also from NextGEM, presented instruments and emulating environments for 5G RF-EMF.
- Pieterjan De Boose from ETAIN focused on the numerical quantification of RF-EMF exposure of insects.
- Nekane Sandoval Diez, also from ETAIN, discussed the development of an open-access smartphone application for RF-EMF exposure assessment, providing an app description and pilot results.
- Serge Bories and Taghrid Mazloum from SEAWave introduced the DEVIN device.
- Christoph Böhmert, also from SEAWave, presented studies on 5G perception.
The meeting served as a platform for knowledge exchange and collaboration among experts and researchers in the field of electromagnetic fields and human health, contributing to the ongoing progress of the CLUE-H initiative.